What job do you have/ want to have?

right now i'm still in school nut when I leave it'll be the army for me! infantry officer hopefully in the Para's if I pass Sandhurst and P coy. After that get a Phd in Physics and become a physics professor.
Voila.
What about you lot?
Last edited on
Please edit and move to the lounge.
Whoops my b ad, thanks for the heads up mate!
Have: Game Programmer
Want: Navy seal
A job I'd like to have...

I would like to be an engineer and a mechanic.

Not an "engineer" as in plug your set top box into the wall, rather, designing and machining mechanical parts.

Not a so called "mechanic" who changes brake pads and shoes, not replacing filters or spark plugs (we usually call those people fitters rather than a mechanics and their pride gets butt hurt). A real mechanic, a person that tears down engines just for the fun of it. Someone who welds go karts from scrap.

Being born in Tipton where'd you see more tatter vans and os's than programmers, I assume this is why I enjoy it. Also the sleek shine of metal is pretty hypnotising, no?

Also good luck with your army career. My grandfather was a para trooper, a true soldier and true Englishman to his core. Fought many battles in the second war along with his father who was a veteran of the first.

He was offered many rising ranks and refused each one saying something like "I prefer to fight with my sons". He said his platoon considered each other their son, and protected each other as such. He had risked his life many times and saved countless men, English, French, Dutch and American alike. Friends he made he lost, sometimes within minutes I remember him coldly saying. As intrigued as I was to hear all his stories, I always saw the light in his eyes dim.

For you to be in school still I imagine you have no army experience, so for you to be in charge of men, for my sanity I hope you don't let him down.

I have a drawn picture of him along with something he said to me almost a decade ago, perhaps you would like to hear them, from para to para. From a man who has seen more death than you and I ever will.

What manner of manner of men are these who wear the red beret?
They have shown themselves as tenacious and determined in defence.
As they are courageous in attack.
They are in fact, men apart.
Every man an emporer.

Thomas Edmunds, 1925-2006.

Rest in peace you 'ard sod.

"What manner of men are these who wear the maroon red beret? They are firstly all volunteers, and are then toughened by hard physical training. As a result they have that infectious optimism and that offensive eagerness which comes from physical well being. They have jumped from the air and by doing so have conquered fear. Their duty lies in the van of the battle: they are proud of this honour and have never failed in any task. They have the highest standards in all things, whether it be skill in battle or smartness in the execution of all peace time duties. They have shown themselves to be as tenacious and determined in defence as they are courageous in attack. They are, in fact, men apart - every man an Emperor." -- Field Marshal The Viscount Montgomery
That is off the MOD right?

This was told to me by my grand father when I was 11. I can give you a picture of it if you need proof, Not taking credit for anybodies work.

EDIT:

Rephrased.

EDIT 2:

The drawn pic with text - http://postimg.org/image/qt2texf2v/

Other parts of the feature wall - http://postimg.org/image/c2bprtmzx/

Just to show I'm not a plagarist =]
Last edited on
megatron 0,

I'm sorry if you took offence, non was meant. I was just giving due credit to the originator for those who may recognise the start of the quote but don't know it all.
Oh no none taken!

I didn't know this myself those were the only parts my grandad mentioned. I'm glad you did. I'm actually unsure now if I should edit the picture to include "maroon" but I'd hate myself if I mess it up.
You shouldn't edit the picture, that is your memory of what your Grandfather said to you.
What manner of manner of men are these who wear the red beret?
They have shown themselves as tenacious and determined in defence.
As they are courageous in attack.
They are in fact, men apart.
Every man an emporer.

What a beautiful sentiment. Sure it was made all the more beautiful because of who was reciting it to you, megatron.
Registered users can post here. Sign in or register to post.